Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Desperately seeking post I--political reading list

civil rights:
Autobiography of Malcolm X
A Stone of Hope
Covenant with Black America
TPM Cafe/FDL book group:
Rick Perlstein/Barry Goldwater
Glenn Greenwald, How Would a Patriot Act?
Michelle Goldberg, Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism
Anthony Shadid/Larry Diamond/George Packer on Iraq
Fawaz Gerges, Journey of the Jihadist (this excerpt already gave some new information about how the Muslim Brotherhood developed over time which I was not clear about. But no one at TPMCafe really wanted to talk about this book. This is sad!) Bergen's "The Osama Bin Laden I Know" is a maybe.
David Sirota, Hostile Takeover (Kos recommended this book as "wonky")
Juliet Eilperin, Fight Club Politics: How Partisanship is Poisoning the House of Representatives
Todd Gitlin, The Intellectuals and the Flag
Gershom Gorenberg, The Accidental Empire: Israel and the Birth of the Settlements, 1967-1977
Hacker and Pierson, Off Center
Gene Sperling, The Pro-Growth Progressive (this book will probably come in handy in debates with Ezzie and Co :))


I am glad that Goldberg has published her book based on intense reporting. The only reason I wanted to read Kevin Phillips's book was for the theocon aspect. According to my mom, who has read it, "it had its moments".
For several years I have allocated the 3 Weeks to Jewish history. I spent two years concentrating on the Holocaust but found that this was turning Tisha B'Av into an extension of Yom haShoah. Gorenberg's book looks as if it could fit right in. (I have Diner's "History of the Jews of the United States" in reserve. I am desperate to read Sarna's "American Judaism" but IMHO it does not fit in the 3 Weeks.) I am always happy to find a book in a mainstream bookstore actually about either Temple period. I have read Schiffman's "From Text to Tradition" and still find it an excellent reference, and have bought the Artscroll history of the Jews in the Second Temple period.
I was surprised to walk into Borders on Sunday and not see Glenn Greenwald's book displayed in the front. Maybe a) the publisher cannot pay for this kind of publicity or b) Borders is gearing up to sell beach books. Borders had a sale of 3 well-known fiction titles for the price of 2 which I almost bit at.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home